Category Archives: Clean Start 2012
Post to make life easy. Whole 30 Challenge appropriate crock pot meals
I was chatting about my fascination with Parsnips to one of my massage clients, Suzi Pews. She said, I will send you a fabulous one. In the immortal words of the Little Red Hen – And She Did.
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup (or honey)
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Butter
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
Put the carrots and parsnips in a food processor to grate them. Boil slightly in sparse water so that they still have a slight crunch. Add remaining ingredients.
I am obsessed with all things parsnip right now. So, I am trying these tonight. Sounds almost like a good breakfast to me!
- 6-8 parsnips, peeled and chopped.
- 2 tbsp of butter plus 1 tablespoon for later step.
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel parsnips with a vegetable peeler, and chop into bite size pieces.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Place chopped parsnips into the skillet, and stir frequently to ensure all are cooking evenly.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, and cinnamon, and continue to stir until all are coated evenly.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter if needed to mobilize the spices.
- Saute on medium heat until parsnips are slightly browned on the outside and soft through the middle, about 20 minutes depending on thickness of parsnips.
Take the pit out of an avocado, mash up a hard boiled egg, sprinkle with some crumbled bacon. Yum!
Use the other half for your next smoothie.
Recap of Clean Start 2012 Part I
As we wrap up our first series of Clean Start 2012 I can honestly say the following things have occurred:
1. I have eaten things I never even heard of: Star Fruit, Tatsoi.
2. I learned how to use my juicer.
3. I bought a food processor and used it.
4. I COOKED!
5. I ate more fruit in 21 days than I had in 43 years. This is not a lie.
6. I pretty much ate spinach every day.
7. I felt better.
8. I started a new exercise program – CrossFit.
9. With the exception of dinners out, I didn’t eat much if any processed food.
10. I became a member of a CSA to get organic veggies every two weeks
11. I am madly, truly, deeply in love with parsnips, spaghetti squash and ginger root. Not together!
12. Bean is sitting here sniffing with allergies….I am not. Hmmm. The raw honey? The gluten free diet? Non-processed food?
I think that’s probably enough to make me realize that even if I didn’t function perfectly on this plan, that I did one heck of a job for me. I have never had fruit every day. I have rarely had veggies every day. Now I have organic baby spinach in my daily smoothie. There have been so many profound effects on my daily diet. I like the way this feels. On the TMI front, my digestion has improved, I don’t feel as inflammed and I feel much better and stronger all the way around.
I used to come home at night and eat my face off. Right before bed. It was a habit. I never do that now. Mostly I don’t like to eat after 6 regardless of the day. The only reason really, is when we go out to dinner for socialization purposes. But you have seen that post from Suz. Goes for me too. Food, Friends, Entertainment.
This Program, even in my tweaking paleo in it, has opened up a whole new world for me. Great new habits and I am now open to trying new things. And as I just said to Suz, “What a great gift we gave ourselves.”
Tomorrow will be Suz’s Star Fruit Smoothie and I will continue to eat REAL FOOD.
So, who is up for Clean Start 2012 Round II?
Getting CLEAN? You are going to need veggies! Great resource. Enter your zip code
January 1 starts the Clean Program for Suzanne and a handful of our clients. If you haven’t already read the book I am including the link as well as a juicer I am purchasing for “Christmas”. If you would like to join us you can do so on my facebook page or if you aren’t into facebook, then shoot me an email..
Best Price $6.35
or Buy New $10.19
Best Price $308.99
or Buy New $339.00