Thinner This Year – Beta Test, Baby.
Be careful what you do on Facebook.
A few years ago I read the book Younger Next Year (see the Right Stuff page above) and started recommending it to my clients. It takes the guesswork out of fitness. It is sprinkled with some magic fairy dust that makes you want to move your arse after you read it. Since reading the book, I pretty much move an hour a day. It inspires you to do it. Of course then I have to stalk the whole Younger Next Year establishment. I am “friends” on Facebook, recommend the Aspen retreats to customers, the whole kit and kaboodle.
I was very excited when about a year ago I got wind from one of Chris Crowley’s posts that there was going to be another book that specifically speaks on diet. YNY mostly deals with exercise and the science (palatable reading) behind it. So I was very excited about this.
Those of you who know me, you know that while I move a LOT, I still have 15-20lbs I would like to lose. I am happy with me because I know this body can cycle 200 miles in 2 days. I have put on 5lbs of muscle in the past six months thanks to CrossFit and I can generally do pretty much anything I want. It takes me where I want to go. That being said, I also know that every year I get older – If I follow the standard american diet – that between my hormones, cellular functions and other fun little tidbits, that I will be on track to gain 5lbs EVERY YEAR. That scares the beejeezus out of me.
For the past 8 months I have subscribed to a more “Primal” way of eating. I have been listening to Balanced Bites and Robb Wolf podcasts on my commute into the shoppe. I have read books and stalked websites. At the beginning of the year (2012) Suzanne and I did 30 days of CLEAN (see the Right Stuff page). Which really kicked things off for me. CLEAN is an excellent start and then I merged into the Primal way of eating. Easiest way to show you this is via this picture:
That pretty much sums it up. If it were me, I would put Vegetables at the top, since that really is the majority of your diet. But MEAT!!! gets your attention. Anyhoo…
Since the beginning of the year, I have radically cleaned up my diet. I feel like I am 70% of the way there. The other 30% of the time, I goof up because I didn’t prepare food. Stress sends me to Fray’s for doughnuts. We have a lot of dinners out socializing and after a big bike ride a girlfriend (KAT! – I’m blaming this one on you!) always requires that we have a margarita or two to celebrate. In short, I’m like everyone else and use food for solace and entertainment.
Since the beginning of the year, I started working out at CrossFit En Fuego near my home 3-4 times a week typically. I went though a yoga teacher training and I teach yoga 3 times a week. And I try to take at least one clsass a week from someone else. If Russell and I aren’t out of town on the weekend offiicating at a triathlon, typically we do a 40 -60 mile bike ride. If he wants to do more I usually bail, since my body is pretty tired after all that working out and standing around a massage table.
Which brings me to be careful what you do on Facebook….
Chris Crowley puts out a post that says,
But of course I am! Pick me! Pick me!
And then I got picked. Uh oh. The email that said, we picked you(!!!!), also says that it will be a 6 month test until December. That’s like a real commitment, peeps. The manuscript should be in my hot little hands next week. I figure with my schedule it will take me a week to read it. I usually fall asleep when trying to read past 7pm. I’m anxious because it isn’t a Primal/Paleo approach. But I think I may try to stay gluten free as much as possible.
Please note that I am writing this next to a fountain, over looking Canal Street in New Orleans. Last night we had dinner at Commander’s Palace. Scrumptious salad, I had a filet with smashed potatoes followed by the most glorious (cue the angels singing on high) bread pudding with a whiskey sauce. Paleo – salad, Primal – filet/potatoes, bread pudding -Heaven. Oh well. When in Rome...
So follow me on my journey. I will outline the basics and give you my honest feedback on the book after I read it. I frequently chat with my contemporaries about diet, as it is hard to find that end all/be all. I like this about the Vegan’s, I like this about The Zone, I like this about The Sonoma Diet, etc. So I’m intrigued to see what Mr. Crowley comes up with.
It’s going to be weird, hard and probably really funny from your seat. I’m not really good at doing a diet more than 4 days in a row. The weekend usually kills me, but hang on, and feel free to join me. There’s strength in numbers. Russell will be doing it too, but don’t tell him just yet. It’s a surprise! 🙂